of the holiday seasons can – well, drive you mad! Whether it’s braving the mall
for that last minute gift, or grocery shopping for Christmas dinner, we’ve all
run into one – or possibly even been one – A disgruntled crazy-eyed, speed walking, gift grabber,
ready to rumble over the last Barbie or 50” television. I think some of the more habitual offenders should have their shopping cart licenses revoked…
the last few years, during the Christmas rush, I’ve tried focusing on giving my
readers a laugh or two. Let’s face it, who couldn’t use one of those? Not to
mention the fact that laughs are free. Laughter is good for the body and mind as a whole. I’ve include some research information from http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm I’ve also pasted a few comics from one of my
most favorite cartoonists, Gary Larson.
The Effects of Laughter:
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system.
Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and
infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins,
the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall
sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart.
Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood
flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other
- Laughter dissolves distressing emotions. You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.
- Laughter helps you relax and recharge. It reduces stress and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more.
- Humor shifts perspective,
allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening
light. A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can
help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.
If by chance anyone else out there
would like to share a good family type comic strip, story or joke, please send them in
and I’ll add them to the blog for other people to get a chuckle out of. http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/give-your-body-boost-with-laughter